School. Homework. Frantically looking for a parking space. Does any of this bring back memories? Well, for the next 3 years, this is my life. I just completed an entire year of “College.” My major is Graphic Design, which means I’m an art student. I can’t say that I was overly thrilled to take some of these courses, but I did learn a whole lot.
The reason I’m sharing this tidbit of information with y’all is because the coolest thing happened in my 3D Design class. Wearable Art and Creating a Space were the last two projects. That meant that I could sew stuff! I didn’t have to pretend that I knew anything about cardboard sculptures or paper-mache. I was free to use what I know, fabric and my sewing machine. Things were grand.
The first project, wearable art, turned out to be quite time consuming. I decided to use a longish t-shirt for my base and printed out barcodes sewn to it. I glued them on a sheet of foam and sewed them on at different angles.
Next I knit up this chunky cowl using this pattern, Big Chunky Cowl. The yarn was actually more than chunky, it was super chunky. I used two skeins and finished in a couple days.
In case you are wondering, my topic was human trafficking. We had to pick something to bring to light and I thought this was something worthy.
The other project I used sewing in was called Pavilion. We had to pick a feminine or masculine process and create that space. I chose to make a reading nook.
First, I made some boxed cushions for the bench. I found a fairly useful tutorial here. I didn’t finish the way I would have at home, mostly because I didn’t bring my iron to class. My sewing machine found its way back forth many a time. I’m sure that looked interesting.
For my faux fur pillows, I traced the pillow and just winged it. When I cut out the faux fur, stuff was flying everywhere. I was covered and so was my workspace. But once I had the edges sewn, the fur was good to go. No more shedding. I really love how soft these pillows feel.
The final part of the project was building a frame with pvc pipe. Rob helped me figure out how many joints, t’s and whatchamacallits I would need. For the fabric curtain, I cut out 2 1/2 inch strips, tied two together and then tied it to the top of the frame. The affect was stunning.
I chose this particular space because of the sunlight that filtered through window. It was such a great spot in the building, high up away from everyone. Great for reading, since I was making a reading nook.
The final touch was the sign. I already had made the paper-mache frame and wanted to make a lighter colored sign. (Black paper with colored chalk.) Finally, I was making something that had relevance to my major!
That is all I have had time to sew for now. Between going to school, homeschooling my kids, graduations and track, sewing has taken a back seat.